Friday, November 14, 2008

When do YOU give and not get anything for it?

The above question was asked to me today by my daughter when it was suggested that she might try giving to others, even when there existed no possibility of a personal gain. Umm. O.K. Can any of you mothers BELIEVE this question was asked? Of course, the first thing I did was remind her that I could do A LOT with the $$ I pay for both her schooling and her cheerleading. Plus, I have 3 children, not just her. I proceeded to yell at her all the way home from school. I think the problem is, I really don't know how to pick my battles. This is probably a very common issue. The words used may be different, but I have no doubt that teenaged girls do not (nor should they) have a CLUE what parenting entails. It just bothers me when she voices her cluelessness.
I was FREEZING at the football game tonight, and I have no pride when it comes to staying warm. My husband was embarrassed (he told me this), with the way I looked, mismatched, wrapped up in an old blanket. The highlight, though, was one of the parents whose daughter is Austen's age gave me a ride home at half-time, and we had a nice, mother-centered conversation. I really need to feel that I'm not in this alone!

No comments: